Something for my 3rd, 4th, & 5th Grade Friends...

July 29, 2012

I teach an intermediate combo class of 3rd and 4th graders during our after school program and I recently made these math journal prompts to help some of my kids who are still struggling with multiplication and division. I enjoy using these prompts because they are quick and easy to incorporate throughout the day- there is not a lot of prep needed. I encourage students to use words and pictures to show their thinking and verbalize how they got their answer.

Math Journals are a great way to reinforce skills while meeting the standards at the same time. I enjoy using math journals in my class because they provide me with a quick and easy way to informally assess student understanding of specific skills. Math journals are also a way of keeping documentation and accountability of student work all together in one place.


You can choose to do a prompt each day for added practice. This pack is differentiated so not all the kids will be on the same prompt a the same time, unless desired. There are 30 prompts in all.

You can take a closer look at the packet here:



Do you use journal prompts in your class? I'd love to hear all about it!


No comments

Powered by Blogger.